Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Installing Debian Linux


We need a PC with Linux running on it which will act as terminal for configuring the Alix board and which will also host the music library which will be served by the Alix board to the Amp via the USB DAC.

I chose to buy a new machine, mainly because I am sick of the high noise level of the old PC which I used till now for experimenting with Linux. But as I already told, you can use almost any old PC to install Linux on it.

As noise level was an important factor, I chose the following computer :
  • Mainboard : Gigabyte EG31M-ES2L / Intel G31 Chipset, FSB 1333, DDR2, SATAII, GLAN
  • Processor : Intel DUAL-Core E2220, 775P, 800MHz, 1MB, 65nm, Fan, BOX
    Conroe, 2.4GHz, SpeedStep, I64bit, NX
  • Memory : 2048MB DDR2 PC-6400, (1x2048MB Max. 4GB), 240Pin
  • Harddisc : 320GB, SATA-II, 7200rpm, Samsung (possibility to put 3 more disks)
  • Graphiccard : Intel GMA 3100 Integrated Graphics (on Board), up to 256MB Shared
  • Network : Gigabit-LAN 10/100/1000 Realtek 8111C
  • Card Reader : Yeong-Yang 33-in-1, USB 2.0 (which is useful for configuring the CF card for the Alix board)
  • Tower : Yeong-Yang Midi-Tower YY-5704 Silver, 350Watt, ATX
This is a very quiet computer which is what I wanted. It should also be very low on energy consumption, which is good. And it is quite cheap, too (around 350 US$).

I installed Debian Linux 5.0, which is the latest stable one. I will not explain how to install it. You will find a lot of informations here. The easiest way to install it, is to download a CD image and to burn a CD with it. Then you just have to put this CD into the computer and follow the onscreen text. There is a detailed installation manual here. This should be easy (the proof : I was able to do it).

After this, you should have a running Debian Linux 5.0 system in front of you.

3 comments:

  1. Not having a spare machine, I am attempting to set up Voyage on the CF using a Linux Live Installation on a USB key drive. I'll use PuTTY or something similar to log into Voyage on the Alix board and try to set up an NFS server for Windows to make my existing music database on the Windows machine available to MPD.

    I am using CrunchBang Linux (Openbox over Ubuntu) on the USB drive following the instructions here:

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/crunchbang-linux-flash-drive-install-windows/

    I could not get the USB drive to boot Linux on my desktop machine, but my IBM X31 booted up with no issues after adding the USB-HDD to the top of the boot device list. It just so happens the X31 has a built in cf reader, so off to the next step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how it is more linux flash drive ,
    than any of my other usb detail thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use a Western Digital hard drive or other external storage product from this provider? A recent reformat, file removal, or other complication from your WD drive is not as big of a catastrophe as most individuals would initially think.

    Go here to learn how to recover files from Western Digital: macdatarecoveryhq.com/western-digital-data-recovery-mac/

    ReplyDelete